Northern Territory - General equipment schemes and services

On this page

Government equipment initiatives

Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA’s) Rehabilitation Appliances Program

If you or someone you care for is a veteran you may be able to access supplies aids and appliances – such as continence products, mobility aids and diabetes supplies – to help manage your health and wellbeing. You must be referred by a GP to access the program. Find out more about DVA’s Rehabilitation Appliances Program

Early intervention services and supports National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

If you have children with a disability you may be able to access early intervention services and supports through the NDIS to help them get a head start on the equipment they need. Find out if your child is eligible to receive early intervention support from the Australian Government

My Aged Care Home Care Packages (HCPs)

If you or someone you care for is older, you may be able to access home modifications (e.g. ramps and rails), as well as goods, equipment and assistive technology as part of a home care package. Find out more about HCPs as part of My Aged Care services and apply online

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

The NDIS can help you modify your house and vehicle to make it easier for you to move around and do the things you want to do. Find out how to adapt your home to suit your needs Find out how to get your motor vehicle adapted

Seating Equipment and Technical Service (SEAT)

If you are a NT resident with functional impairment with intermediate to complex seating, wheeled mobility, pressure care and assistive technology needs you may be eligible for SEAT. SEAT is a NT Government service that provides customised pressure care, mobility, and seating equipment. SEAT also provides necessary modifications to prescribed wheelchairs as well as fabrication of customised seating systems and pressure cushions. Find out more about SEAT

Territory Equipment Program (TEP)

If you are a NT resident with a functional impairment, you may be able to access equipment, aids and appliances from the NT Government to help you live and participate in everyday activities. Find out more about the TEP

The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)

If you are a senior Australian, you may be able to access entry-level support services to live independently and safely at home. Find out more about the Commonwealth Home Support Programme and see if you are eligible and apply for an assessment online

Top End Health Services

The professional groups that make up the NT Health Allied Health workforce include a wide range of professional disciplines, including prosthetics and orthotics.

Find out more about Top End Health Services

Information and advice on mobility options

National Equipment Database for Assistive Technology

You can get augmentative and alternative communication aids to support speech and/or provide other ways of communicating through the National Equipment Database. Find out more about alternative communication aids and speech generating devices

Spinal Cord Injuries Australia

Spinal Cord Injuries Australia has advice about equipment and assistive technology to help if you have spinal cord injuries. You can also access a list of suppliers of mobility equipment. See a list of equipment suppliers and repairers

NDIS supports

Local Area Coordinators (LACs)

If you are aged 7 and above, Local Area Coordinators (LACs) can link you to the NDIS and to mainstream and community supports in your area. You can ask your LAC about the supports available in your community, even if you're not eligible for an NDIS support plan. Find out more about how a Local Area Coordinator may be able to assist you

Payments to help with equipment and supplies

Continence Aids Payment Scheme

If you are over 5 years’ old and have severe and permanent incontinence you may be able to access an annual payment to help you pay for your continence supplies. See if you can get funding for continence aids through this scheme

Essential Medical Equipment Payment

This payment can help you with energy costs to run medical equipment or medically required heating or cooling in your home. For example, a dialysis machine or an oxygen concentrator. It is paid once a year. Find out more about the Essential Medical Equipment Payment

You can also look at …

Transport if you need help with public transport or getting to an appointment.