Queensland - General equipment schemes and services

On this page

Government equipment initiatives

Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA’s) Rehabilitation Appliances Program

If you or someone you care for is a veteran you may be able to access supplies aids and appliances – such as continence products, mobility aids and diabetes supplies – to help manage your health and wellbeing. You must be referred by a GP to access the program. Find out more about DVA’s Rehabilitation Appliances Program

Early intervention services and supports National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

If you have children with a disability you may be able to access early intervention services and supports through the NDIS to help them get a head start on the equipment they need. Find out if your child is eligible to receive early intervention support from the Australian Government

My Aged Care Home Care Packages (HCPs)

If you or someone you care for is older, you may be able to access home modifications (e.g. ramps and rails), as well as goods, equipment and assistive technology as part of a home care package. Find out more about HCPs as part of My Aged Care services and apply online

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

The NDIS can help you modify your house and vehicle to make it easier for you to move around and do the things you want to do. Find out how to adapt your home to suit your needs Find out how to get your motor vehicle adapted

Queensland Artificial Limb Service

The Artificial Limb Scheme funds a variety of standard definitive prosthetic services for people requiring a definitive prosthesis (artificial limb).

Find out more about the Artificial Limb Scheme

The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)

If you are a senior Australian, you may be able to access entry-level support services to live independently and safely at home. Find out more about the Commonwealth Home Support Programme and see if you are eligible and apply for an assessment online

Information and advice on mobility options

National Equipment Database for Assistive Technology

You can get augmentative and alternative communication aids to support speech and/or provide other ways of communicating through the National Equipment Database. Find out more about alternative communication aids and speech generating devices

Spinal Cord Injuries Australia

Spinal Cord Injuries Australia has advice about equipment and assistive technology to help if you have spinal cord injuries. You can also access a list of suppliers of mobility equipment. See a list of equipment suppliers and repairers

Spinal Life Australia

Spinal Life Australia assists people living with a physical disability through advocacy and a range of support services. See how Spinal Life Australia can help you

NDIS supports

Local Area Coordinators (LACs)

If you are aged 7 and above, Local Area Coordinators (LACs) can link you to the NDIS and to mainstream and community supports in your area. You can ask your LAC about the supports available in your community, even if you're not eligible for an NDIS support plan. Find out more about how a Local Area Coordinator may be able to assist you

Payments to help with equipment and supplies

Continence Aids Payment Scheme

If you are over 5 years’ old and have severe and permanent incontinence you may be able to access an annual payment to help you pay for your continence supplies. See if you can get funding for continence aids through this scheme

Essential Medical Equipment Payment

This payment can help you with energy costs to run medical equipment or medically required heating or cooling in your home. For example, a dialysis machine or an oxygen concentrator. It is paid once a year. Find out more about the Essential Medical Equipment Payment

Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme

You may be able to access subsidy funding for medical aids and equipment if you have a permanent/stable disability. Aids and equipment are subsidy funded either on a permanent loan basis, private ownership or through the supply of consumables. Find out more about the Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme

Support for new migrants

Multilingual Information Access (MiAccess)

MiAccess is a website that brings together available translated information for people with disability from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, their carers and community. Visit Mi-Access for more information

You can also look at …

Transport if you need help with public transport or getting to an appointment.