Emergency contacts

Video duration 2:27


Hi. I’m Nicole.
It’s important to stay safe and access the help you need quickly. So today, I’ll be talking you through some key emergency contacts listed on the Disability Gateway website.

Title graphic: Emergency Contacts

In the case of an emergency or if someone is in danger always call Triple Zero immediately.

Graphic: (Icon) Call Triple Zero 000

If you have a hearing or speech impairment and there is an emergency, call 106 or make a text emergency call.

Graphic: (Icon) Call 106 Text emergency call

If English is not your first language and you require translation or interpretation in an emergency, call 131 450

Graphic: (Icon) Call 131 450 Translating and Interpreting Service

Call 1800 RESPECT if you are experiencing domestic violence.

Graphic: (Icon) Call 1800 737 732

If you need urgent help with poisons, call the Poisons Information Centre on 131 126.

Graphic: (Icon) Call 131 126

And finally, to access help in an emergency or a disaster situation, please select your specific state for more detailed information and a local response.

Graphic: State Emergency Services

If you have any questions or want to find out more about the supports and services available to you, please contact the Disability Gateway on 1800 643 787.

Key contacts

In an emergency or if someone is in danger:

Call Triple Zero 000

In an emergency if you have hearing or speech impairment:

Call 106 to make a text emergency call

If you need translation or interpretation:

Call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450

If you want help with domestic violence:

Call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732

If you need urgent help with poisons:

Call the Poisons Information Centre 131 126

To get help in an emergency or disaster situation:


You can also look at...

Safety and help

Emergency contacts

A woman talking on the phone with icons for information and support next to her

Sometimes, calling someone is the fastest way to get:

  • information
  • support.

We have included a list of people you can call below.

Phone calling 000

In an emergency, you can call Triple Zero on 000

You should call Triple Zero if you or someone else is in danger.

For more information about Triple Zero, you can visit their website.

A phone sending a text message to 106

If you have a hearing or speech impairment, you can send an emergency text instead of talking to someone.

To send an emergency text to Triple Zero, you can call 106

Translating and Interpreting Service icon.

If you speak a language other than English, you can call Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450

Abuse or neglect

A man trying to talk to a woman but the woman has turned away and is not listening

Abuse is when someone treats you badly.

Neglect is when someone is not helping you the way they are supposed to help you.

If you want to report abuse or neglect, you can call the National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline on 1800 880 052.

Domestic violence

Fist icon for violence

If you want help with domestic violence, you can call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732.

You can visit the 1800RESPECT website for more information.


A woman talking on the phone and looking shocked. Above her is a poison icon.

Government services

National Disability Insurance Scheme logo.

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) supports people with disability.

If you want help with the NDIS, you can call them on 1800 800 110.

My Aged Care logo.

My Aged Care supports older people.

You can call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

Australian Government Department of Veterans' Affairs logo.

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs supports veterans. We call this department DVA.

A veteran is a person who served in the military.

If you want help from DVA, you can call them on 1800 555 524.

A Medicare card with a dollar sign and a down arrow. Behind it is a map of Australia.

Medicare is a program that gives all Australians health care at no cost or low cost.

If you want help with Medicare, you can call them on 132 011.

Australian Government Services Australia logo.

Services Australia supports all Australians, including:

  • people with disability
  • families
  • older people
  • carers
  • people looking for work.

Services Australia looks after Centrelink and MyGov.

If you want help from Services Australia, you can call them on 132 307.

Carer Gateway logo.

The Carer Gateway supports families and carers who support another person.

You can call the Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737.

Head to Health logo

Head to Health can help you find information about mental health – for yourself or for someone you care about.

You can visit the Head to Health website for more information.