Victoria - Respite

Better Health Channel

The Better Health Channel has a range of information on respite supports and services for people in Victoria with a disability. Visit the website to find out more

Carer Gateway

For emergency respite care, you can contact Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737. Find out more about planning for an emergency

The Carer Gateway also has an online resource that can help you to find respite or other support if you need a break. Learn more about respite from the Carer Gateway

Department of Veterans’ Affairs

If you are a veteran with disability you may be able to access respite services through the Department of Veterans’ Affairs. Find out more about respite services from DVA

Health and Wellbeing for Indigenous Australians

The National Indigenous Australians Agency provides culturally-appropriate primary health care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians. Find out more about health care for Indigenous Australians

Local Area Coordinators (LACs)

If you are aged 7 and above, Local Area Coordinators (LACs) can link you to the NDIS and to mainstream and community supports in your area. You can ask your LAC about the supports available in your community, even if you're not eligible for an NDIS support plan. Find out more about how a Local Area Coordinator may be able to assist you

Multilingual Information Access (MiAccess)

MiAccess is a website that brings together available translated information for people with disability from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, their carers and community. Visit Mi-Access for more information

My Aged Care

You can call My Aged Care for respite if you care for a person over 65 and need a break. Respite services are available under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP). Visit the My Aged Care website for information on respite services

My Community Directory

The My Community Directory website is a database of a large variety of community services throughout Australia, you can use the website to search for services using key words and your location. Search for respite and activities in your area

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) can often help you to take break if you care for someone with disability who takes part in the NDIS. Call 1800 800 110 for more information. Contact your NDIS Disability Services provider to find local respite or activities for both you and your carer

Raising Children

The Raising Children website has some ideas for respite if you are caring for a child with disability, autism spectrum disorder or other special needs. Read more about ideas for respite