Tasmania - Financial support for healthcare

On this page

Getting health services

Australian Thalidomide Survivors Support Program (the Program)

If you are a thalidomide survivor registered with the Program, the Thalidomide Support Service can help you with accessing support under the Program, including claiming from the Extraordinary Assistance Fund (EAF) and the Health Care Assistance Fund (HCAF). The Thalidomide Support Service can also help survivors to register and receive support from the NDIS and other relevant services and schemes. Find out more about what support is available and how to apply for support


Medicare is an Australian Government program that gives free or subsidised (cheaper for you) treatment from doctors and other health professionals, and in hospitals. Find out how to get a Medicare Card and manage your account online

Medicare Safety Net

If you need to see a doctor or get tests regularly, the Medicare Safety Net helps to lower your costs. When you spend over a certain amount in a year, you will get some of the money back. If you’re enrolled in Medicare, you’re eligible for the Medicare Safety Net. See how the Medicare Safety Net can help you, and find out how to register as a couple or family

Veteran Card

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs provides Veteran Cards to eligible veterans and their families. Depending on the type of card, these entitle you to free or cheaper healthcare, and discounts on medicine, transport, and water and energy bills.  If you are a veteran, find out how to get a Veteran Card

You can also look at …

Aids and equipment to find out how to get financial support for aids and equipment.

Getting medicines

Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card

If you have been a carer in the past, you may be able to get this card. It allows you to pay less for medicines and has other concessions. It is for people who are aged between 16 and 25 years, are full-time students and were receiving a Carer Allowance Health Care Card when they turned 16. Find out if you’re eligible and how to apply for an Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card

Health Care Card

If you get a payment from the government (eg a Disability Support Pension), you might also get a Health Care Card. This can help you get cheaper medicines and also gives you concessions on things like public transport tickets, taxi fares and your utility bills (eg electricity). You don’t need to apply for a Health Care Card – if you are eligible, you will be sent a card. See how you can use the Health Care Card

Low Income Health Care Card

If you’re on a low income, this concession card provides cheaper healthcare and some other discounts. Find out if you’re eligible and how to apply for a Low Income Health Care Card

Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme

This scheme subsidises medicines so you pay less for them. You can buy these cheaper medicines automatically if you have a Medicare card. Learn more about the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and what medicines are covered

Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme Safety Net

If you spend a lot of money on medicines, you may be able to get them cheaper or free through this scheme. Talk with your pharmacist about how to track the cost of all your medicines and get a PBS Safety Net card. Find out what medicines are covered and how to apply for the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme Safety Net. Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme Safety Net

NDIS supports

Local Area Coordinators (LACs)

If you are aged 7 and above, Local Area Coordinators (LACs) can link you to the NDIS and to mainstream and community supports in your area. You can ask your LAC about the supports available in your community, even if you're not eligible for an NDIS support plan. Find out more about how a Local Area Coordinator may be able to assist you

Support for new migrants

Managing your finances

Information for new migrants about managing your finances. Learn about financial support services in Australia for new migrants