South Australia - Planning for the future

Advance Care Planning Australia

Advance care planning involves appointing someone else to make decisions if your condition gets worse and writing down what you want in future treatment.

This is known as an advance care directive. Think about what you need to consider when making an advance care planFind out how to make an advance care directive Find out more about advance care planning

Carer Gateway

The Carer Gateway gives you information on planning for the future and for end of life, including different steps and things to think about. Explore future planning ideas See what you might need to think about for end of life planning

Legal Services Commission of South Australia

The Legal Services Commission of South Australia has information on wills, estates and funerals. This information is not just for South Australia – it is for anyone across Australia. Find out more about wills, estates and funerals

Local Area Coordinators (LACs)

If you are aged 7 and above, Local Area Coordinators (LACs) can link you to the NDIS and to mainstream and community supports in your area. You can ask your LAC about the supports available in your community, even if you're not eligible for an NDIS support plan. Find out more about how a Local Area Coordinator may be able to assist you


A will lets others know what you would like to happen if you pass away. The MoneySmart website has information about how to make a legal will in Australia. Find out how to make a legal will

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

If you are a carer, you might need to plan for when you can no longer have a carer role. Carers Australia has advice on succession planning and the NDIS.

The NDIS also recognises that sometimes a guardian or nominee will need to make decisions for an NDIS participant. Find out more about NDIS guardians and nominees

SA Government, Administration Orders and Power of Attorney

The Queensland government website has information on guardianship (administration orders and power of attorney including required documentation. Find out more about guardianship in South Australia (in South Australia, a guardian is known as an administrator)Find out more about power of attorney in South Australia