Victoria - Your rights

Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights

The Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights describes what you or someone you care for can expect when receiving health care. Find out more about the Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights

Australian Human Rights Commission

The Australian Human Rights Commission promotes disability rights to build a more accessible and inclusive society. The Commission has a guide to the laws that protect all people from discrimination and information on access to justice for people with disability that you can access on their website. You can also make a human rights complaint to the Australian Human Rights Commission. The complaints process is free. Find out more about your rights as a person with disabilityFind out how to make a complaint under the Disability Discrimination ActFind out how to get access to justice in the criminal justice system for people with disability

Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities

The United Nations (UN) Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) details the recognised rights of people with disability; you can read the convention on the UN’s website. Read the Convention to find out more about your rights The UNCRPD in AUSLAN (Australian Sign Language)

Disabled People’s Organisations Australia

The Disabled People’s Organisations (DPO) Australia promotes the human rights and freedoms of all people with disability. Find out more about the work of the DPO

Fair Work Ombudsman

The Fair Work Ombudsman and the Fair Work Commission are the government organisations that regulate Australia’s workplace relations system. You can find information about your employment rights from their websites. Visit the Fair Work Commission Visit the Fair Work Ombudsman

Job Access

The Job Access website has advice on your rights and responsibilities. This includes how to report abuse and make a complaint if somebody discriminates against you in the workplace. Find out your employment rights and responsibilities

Local Area Coordinators (LACs)

If you are aged 7 and above, Local Area Coordinators (LACs) can link you to the NDIS and to mainstream and community supports in your area. You can ask your LAC about the supports available in your community, even if you're not eligible for an NDIS support plan. Find out more about how a Local Area Coordinator may be able to assist you

Multilingual Information Access (MiAccess)

MiAccess is a website that brings together available translated information for people with disability from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, their carers and community.
Visit Mi-Access for more information

Sexuality Education, Counselling and Consultancy Agency (SECCA)

SECCA has an accessible online resource, ‘Sexuality, Relationships & Your Rights’ to help you learn about your rights relating to human relationships, sexuality and sexual health. It also gives you information on current legislation for each state and territory. Learn more about your rights relating to human relationships, sexuality and sexual health

Victorian Disability Worker Commission

The Victorian Disability Worker Commission takes and investigates complaints about any Victorian disability worker, regardless of how their service is funded. Find out how the Victorian Disability Workers Commission can help

Victorian Equal Opportunity

The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission promotes the human rights of all Victorians, including people with disability. Find out what you can do if you have experienced disability discrimination

Women with Disability Australia (WWDA) – Your rights

Information about your rights, sex and your body, life choices and more. Visit WWDA for more information

You might also look at …

Employment for more information on your employment rights and advocacy

Housing for more information about your housing rights