Celebrate National Carers Week
National Carers Week recognises and celebrates Australia’s 2.65 million unpaid carers, and helps raise awareness of the enormous contribution they make to our communities. This year the theme of National Carers Week is ‘Millions of reasons to care’ and will run from 10 to 16 October 2021.
Anyone at any time can become a carer and National Carers Week is an opportunity to raise community awareness about the diversity of carers and the significant role they play.
A carer is anyone who provides care to a family member or friend with disability, medical condition, mental illness or who is frail due to age.
Minister for Families and Social Services, Anne Ruston, has thanked unpaid carers for their remarkable contribution to our nation. You can view Minister Ruston’s message here.
You can visit the National Carers Week website for more information and ways to get involved in this year’s activities.
Where to go for carer support services – Carer Gateway
Carer Gateway is an Australian Government initiative providing online, phone-based and in-person supports and services to Australia’s 2.65 million unpaid carers.
If you are a carer and would like to know about services and supports available to you, visit the Carer Gateway website or call 1800 422 737 Monday to Friday 8am – 5pm local time press 1 to speak to your local Carer Gateway service provider.
There are a range of services available, including:
- carer needs assessment and support planning
- in-person and phone-based counselling
- in-person and online peer support
- targeted financial support packages with a focus on employment, education, respite and transport
- emergency respite
- online self-guided coaching
- information and advice
- assistance with navigating relevant local services available to carers through federal, state and local government and non-government providers, including the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), My Aged Care and palliative care.